Who Should Enroll in the Academy?
Anyone at the high school level or beyond, who is interested in learning about or pursuing a digital career, is invited to participate. The program is designed for individuals that live, work or go to school in Napa County. We will consider other participants on a case-by-case basis. Digital careers include such professions as listed below and more:
- Cybersecurity analysts, Security administrators
- Graphic designers
- IT Support engineers
- Social media marketers
- Software engineers
You need to be willing to invest 4-to-10 hours/week to build the skills needed to qualify for these certifications.
The program is well-suited for individuals who are willing to work online with a cohort of like-minded people combined with instructor support and mentorship. In particular, it benefits high school students and beyond who are:
- Wanting to go deeper and faster in preparing themselves for future careers or seeking to explore and expand their horizons
- Considering an alternative to high-priced colleges
- Looking to earn a good salary in jobs that are in high demand
Benefits of Technical Certifications
The Virtual Career Academy offers courses leading to certifications from Adobe, Cisco and/or Google.
It focuses on digital certifications because the pandemic has revealed that businesses have never needed technology more than now. As they become increasingly technology dependent, our reliance on a workforce that is skilled in digital tools and has the ability to innovate new solutions through technology continues to grow, too.
The pandemic has also revealed that now you can work virtually from anywhere.
The benefits of earning a certification are many — you can:
- Signal to potential employers and prospective colleges that you have determination and rise to challenges
- Demonstrate mastery of up-to-date skills in career fields that are rapidly changing
- Gain a competitive advantage by having industry-recognized skills that can set you apart
- Fast-track yourself into an entry level digital career without incurring a lot of student debt
- Be identified as someone who is thinking ahead, who can set and achieve goals, and who can bring initiative and commitment to the table
- Build pride and self confidence
Spring Term 2021 Courses Begin
Once we have gauged interest and assembled the cohorts, the Spring Term courses will begin in March 2021. A minimum of 5 students is needed to launch a course.
Watch Our Career Exploration Seminar Series
In the summer of 2020, we held weekly 90-minute introductory seminars that were a deep dive into each Field of Study. Attendees heard from the course providers about what to expect, as well as from individuals who have pursued these certifications and their resulting careers.
You can watch these seminars below: